Friday, September 23, 2011

Week 5 Part 2&3 Final Reflections

Although this was a difficult course for me because it is not my area of expertise or comfort, I found it to be very interesting. I have learned a lot in five weeks about the history, development, and maintenance of a district budget.

After completing the self-assessment, I found my strengths to be competencies that deal with personnel issues. My current position is in Human Resources, so thankfully I feel confident in that area. I feel much more competent in many areas concerning school finance now than compared to the beginning of this course. I still need to learn more in the areas of managing resources and the legal requirements of finance. I am certain that this knowledge will come as I spend more time delving into the development of a district budget during the next few years especially.

I found the history of how Texas schools are funded very enlightening and interesting. At first I was relieved that finding a balanced approach for funding has always been an issue. Then I was faced with the reality that we may never find a balanced approach and that state funding will more than likely continue to decline.  

Working with my Wiki group was exciting. We used Google Docs to create our papers. Instant messaging one another while we were working was almost like being face to face. I’m having a difficult time forming some committees to work on district projects because of time constraints. I am entertaining the idea of using Google Docs or a blog to begin some of our dialogue.

Currently, I am collaborating with a committee of campus principals, Director of Fine Arts, and the Athletic Director to meet our District Goal #1: Develop a plan to ensure programs associated with district and campus priorities are funded equitably. The knowledge I have gained from this course will assist me in providing current and projected data for salaries, benefits, operating costs and revenue as we work to achieve this goal.

I look forward to learning more about school finance now that I have a better understanding of the terminology and how the process works. This course has been the missing puzzle piece of the district picture for me. I always knew that school finance was important but I never really understood how it aligned completely with the district vision.

2 comments:

  1. It is so cool that you have an opportunity to use our class acquired knowledge in your district to accomplish something so good. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette - Glad you are being able to use information from this class with current position. I am like you in the aspect that this course was very challenging but I learned some very useful information. I too have a better understanding of school finance but still have a lot to learn. Our group never used google docs but I know people who use it personally and really like it. I hope you are having a nice weekend. Talk to you in next course.

    ReplyDelete