Wednesday, January 25, 2012



My current position as a district administrator has been exciting and eye-opening at the same time. Although I still believe that the most important job in any district is the classroom teacher, seeing the district from a new perspective other than a campus administrator or a teacher has made me realize the importance and enormity of the “behind the scenes” work that is vital in order to ensure that the district functions effectively and successfully. Entering the Human Resource Services Department during a budget crisis forced my steep learning curve to be short. Principals, Directors, and our Superintendent relied on us to be consistent, fair, and legal in our processes and correct in our projections during this difficult time. My experience as a teacher, presenter, consultant, campus leader and principal provided me with the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to be successful at the district level. For the moment, I am enjoying learning about Human Resources and other departments as they relate to us and how we all work together toward the common goal: all children will learn…whatever it takes!  The positions that interest me in the future include Assistant Superintendent in our district or a Superintendent in a smaller district.

My twenty-five year path through education thus far has been one of unplanned, and natural leadership progression. I began as a classroom teacher which included multiple leadership roles from department chair, regional, state and national presenter, math consultant, teacher coach and lots of administrative experience. Although I believed that I would always be a classroom teacher, I was never satisfied with teaching one grade level for more than three years or not being involved at the campus, district and state level of education. After thirteen years in the classroom in the same district, I felt as though I had grown as much as I could and it was time to welcome a new challenge. I moved to another district and became an elementary assistant principal for two years and then the principal of our school for six years. An opportunity for a high school experience in a new district appealed to me. So, I spent the next two years as a high school assistant principal. During my time as a campus administrtor, I was able to apply the knowledge and skills I had aquired during my teaching years to become an effective instructional leader. Now that I am at the district level, all of my previous leadership experience has prepared me to assist those that are entering the teaching profession or aspiring to become a campus administrator. 

Regardless of the position I held in education, the most important skill continues to be the ability to build quality relationships with people. Understanding and respecting others’ perspectives, beliefs and experiences has resulted in students, staff, parents and community members knowing that I am a trustworthy, honest and loyal leader. Listening and hearing as well as communicating often with all stakeholders also aides in developing the trust needed for people to feel as though they can come to you when they have concerns, ideas, and/or questions. My desire to lead has always been to serve others and help them reach their fullest potential as an educator and/or leader. I believe that we all continue to master our craft and that along the way there are people that have guided, encouraged, and equipped us with the skills, knowledge and confidence needed to become a successful educator, leader and person. Throughout the Lamar Superintendent Preparation Program, I felt as though the activities we completed helped to not only prepare us for our future positions but also reassured my belief that  actions speak volumes about a person’s character. I have always believed that my Superintendent’s character, ethics, and morals were of high regard. After visiting with and observing him during some  difficult situations this past year, I am inspired by his ability to remain true to his beliefs. He puts the students first and provides such positive examples for all of us to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment